The mission of TAO is to serve the public by conducting independent performance audits and investigations to increase accountability, transparency, identify opportunities to enhance operational efficiencies and protect public resources.
TAO will be viewed as a trusted competent and professional resource by the people of American Samoa, US Government Agencies and other offices and agencies within ASG including the Governor and the FONO.
The Territorial Audit Office (TAO) is established and authorized by American Samoa Government Administrative Code Chapter 04.
TAO exists to provide independent audits and investigations within the American Samoa Government.
In achieving our mission and vision, we embrace the following core values:
- Public Service
- Professional Competence
- Strong Work Ethic
- Strategic Thinking
- Team Building
- Positive Attitude
- Professional Skepticism
- Protect and Maximize Public Resources that are Entrusted to ASG
- Increase Public Trust
- Minimize the Risk of Waste, Fraud and Abuse
- Enhance Government Transparency and Accountability
- Identify opportunities to strengthen internal controls during the course of limited scope audits to enhance accountability. Make specific recommendations for accounting and/ or organizational controls.
- Conduct performance audits to identify opportunities to save resources by; recommending best practices for more efficient and/ or economical operations.
- Establish a TAO website to post annual work plan, project status, other audit links and resources that are useful to the public.
- Establish and actively monitor a waste, fraud and abuse hotline.
- Leverage available TAO resources by providing audit staff training opportunities for professional growth and development in core competencies.
- Actively pursue available grant funds to supplement local funding of TAO to expand audit coverage.
- Carefully prioritize and select audit projects that are most likely to produce the most positive return on audit time and resources invested.
Territorial Audit Office-
Executive Office Building
AP Lutali - 2nd Floor
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799